Saturday, January 19, 2013

Soooooo What’s new with you????

I’m just writing a new blog to let everyone know I haven’t fallen off the Earth…..yet.

As some of you know, I started college on the 7th of January.  I am going for an Associates Degree in Arts/Photography.  At 56 years old, it is proving to be a challenge for me…and I love it!

I applied for student loans and grants before I actually enrolled in college.  I was afraid of not being able to afford to go after I went down and checked out the program. The college is about 35 miles from my home. But there was no reason for me to worry. The loans and grants not only paid for the classes, but the books and the parking pass.  I had enough money on my account that I signed up for a meal plan too.  There is a 2-3 hour break for me between my morning class and my afternoon class; and I didn’t want to drive home in between or worry about saving money to pay for lunches, gas, etc.  I can get lunch or breakfast just using my student ID.

The biggest news is I applied for a scholarship through my job and found out this week that I got it! For a 2 year Associates Degree, the company will give me $2,000 a year….That will really help pay off student loans; and I’ll have the extra money I need to stay in school.

There are some drawbacks. The biggest one is the drive.  No big deal as it’s all interstate until you get to the little town it’s in.  Let’s just say the college makes the town!  I am the oldest person in my classes and that includes most of the “Professors”!  My Art Appreciation teacher may be the only one near my age.  Her class is the one that has the most homework…I can look at art, and tell you if I like it or why I like it….but I can’t interpret what the artist is trying to convey….and I have had a chapter to read each week with a 250 word essay to hand in….that’s probably the hardest for me to do….I still haven’t done this week’s homework yet, but I do have an extra day this week because of a holiday Monday…No school.

The classes I have found to be the most fun art Art Design and Digital Darkroom…no tests!  Just a lot of hands on in class work….and that’s fun.  I’m no artist, but Art design doesn’t require you to be an expert and so far I’m enjoying the experience….Digital Darkroom is actually the second part of Photoshop which I can’t take until the fall.

Then there is English Composition with Reading….Yeah, I can write blogs and I can read so now all I have to do is learn the “proper” way to write!

So I go to college 4 days a week, and work 4-5 days a week….which overlap.  I have no days off unless for some reason (like Monday’s holiday) I have the day off from both! 

I received an overage check this past week and have put most of the money in the bank..I did buy an iPad to use at school.  I can do my homework on it and next year I’ll be able to use it as a tax deduction as a college expense.  Carrying my 17” laptop back and forth to school along with my books was getting Heavy!  Now I’m learning how to use it.  Before long, I’m sure I’ll be an old pro at it.

In the meantime, I have been taking photos of the school being demolished and I’m working on a new blog for it…

So be patient…I’m still around…As my dad would say, “I’m busier than a one armed man in a Paper Hanging contest!”

Hugs and Love to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment