Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is it Spring yet???

The weather is getting me down.
We have been on  a roller-coaster ride this year.  We have had periods of cold weather, followed by snow, followed by warmer temperatures including rain and thaw, and then more cold weather.  For days the ground is either covered in 6 inches of snow, or the sun melted it all and left behind a muddy mess….only to change it’s mind and freeze the ground again and cover it with a new blanket of snow. I love snow….when it stays around!  I hate mud!  I have 3 all white dogs….mud equals brown dogs and bathing them in the tub….which then includes an unwanted shower when they shake to dry!
This past week has been a real tease.  We had temperatures in the 60’s (16c) , beautiful clear blue skies and I can see the yard again.  The sun has been shining, flowers are starting to peep up through the thawed earth, birds are singing in the trees… I know this because one day I was knitting in my room and heard a single bird chirping from near my window outside.  I grabbed the camera and headed outside to “capture” it.
Spelling Bee 004
But it was too good to be true. Last night the temperatures began to drop. I had to grab the blanket at my feet during the night  Today an icy rain/sleet mix fell from the sky.  Gray clouds surrounded us as we drove to a birthday party. Emily turns a year old this week and her party was today.  My husband’s second cousin paid me to do more pictures of her so I did 2 things I like; getting out of the house, and taking photographs; and got paid for doing it!
First Birthday for Emily 145  First Birthday for Emily 031
Spring brings a little heart ache for me.  No sports!  (Unless by some mere chance that my grand-daughter does decide to participate in track again this year!)  You see, sports means I get to spend at least an hour a week watching one of the grandchildren that I am not allowed to see otherwise.  Now I will have to wait until July when football starts back up. I have been very brave lately, but yesterday after the last basketball game of the season, I could not hold back the tears.  July is 5 months away….
IMG_0782 IMG_0864
My oldest grandson did return from his Army training to convalesce from his tendonitis of the knee.  He spent almost a week here with me, but is home once again at his mother’s.  My daughter is still not talking to me after 8 months
.Cody Frot Knox Graduation
My grandson  showed me some pictures of the newest addition to their family….Puppies! In this picture, they are 1 week old. That’s my youngest grandson holding one.  I think they are all going to be much larger than their Mom, the lab puppy I gave my grandson 2 years ago.
Ty and puppy
We have new neighbors.  So far it has been a little rough.  The first week, they were out in their yard until 1 a.m. making noise.  They have children….and the sounds of them playing remind me of what I miss.  Our street was mainly retirees….people over the age of 65…Most in their 70’s who have lived here for more than 30 years.  They aren’t used to hearing children ride up and down the sidewalks.  And the adults who live next door have not been very considerate as far as parking goes.  They have taken up 4 or 5 spaces and not left room for the other people who have to also park on the street.  There is barely room for 1 car in front of each house as it is.
I did a little internet research and found out my youngest grandson’s school was having a Spelling Bee.  I contacted the principal to learn the time and date.  I didn’t know if he would be in it again this year, but I took the chance and went to his school.  I was pleasantly surprised to see him sitting amongst the contestants.  His mother didn’t show up.  I took some pictures and even had the chance to speak to him afterwards.  I wrapped my arms around him, gave him a hug and congratulated him on his effort. I believe he was very happy to see me.  His mother found out about the Spelling Bee that evening when he came home from school with the medal.
 Spelling Bee 049 Spelling Bee 012
I am keeping as busy as I can.  I took my mother-in-law to have cataract surgery on her right eye, and I am now playing nurse maid.  Four times a day, I go over to her house to put drops in her right eye. She had the surgery on Wednesday, and had a post-op appointment the next morning.  She has another appointment this Wednesday.
For now, I am doing the best I can. The “lottery God “ came and went and I didn’t get chosen to be on TV.  I watched a show this week that said “Don’t say you are broke, Say you are temporarily out of cash”. 
Out of cash, out of luck, out of mind…….
Come on Spring!  I need you!  I need the flowers to keep me busy taking photos.  I need the warmer days to get outside and garden.  I need the sunshine to brighten my mood. 
I need time to fly by, so I can see my grandchildren again.
Hugs and Love to all my dear friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment