Sunday, December 26, 2010

Always the Photographer, never the photographed

Christmas is over.

Santa has delivered all his packages. They have all been ripped open and Christmas dinner is now resting around the waistlines.

Does anyone know how long it would take coal to make a diamond if I stuck it up someone’s tight rear end?

My son was admitted to the hospital in Florida on Christmas Eve where he remains today.  The have been testing him for several things and finally came up with a diagnosis of “Polymyostis”.  Polymyositis (pol-e-mi-o-SI-tis) is an uncommon connective tissue disease. It's a type of inflammatory myopathy, which is characterized by muscle inflammation and weakness. (I had to look it up on the internet myself!) From my understanding, although it cannot be cured, it can be treated with medications that lesson the symptoms.

I was expecting much this Christmas.  I’m glad. I would only have been disappointed otherwise.  I expected a visit from my grandson….he didn’t come over.  He’s been home for almost a week and I have seen him for no longer than a brief 10 minute stop last Thursday. I went to bed at 6 p.m. and slept restlessly until this morning.

I sent a text message on Christmas day to my son in Florida, the 2 grand-daughters and 4 of my grandsons who have cell phones…..I heard back from all but 2; the one grand-daughter who I pay her cell phone bill here, and 1 grandson in Virginia.  I was surprised to get a text from the grand-daughter in Virginia who I have not talked to in 8 years. (except for the rare occasion when she visited with her Dad in Florida.) 

I did get a few presents….my husband surprised me with a bracelet, my middle son gave me a portable CD player/radio and $20 on a Wal-mart gift card to save for my computer.  My mother-in-law gave me the most; a pair of footed pajamas, a “Chantilly” gift set and an insulated shirt.

My “dinner” on Christmas day consisted of 2 slices of peanut butter toast and a mug of hot chocolate…..actually…besides chips and dip, and a hand full of pretzel M&M’s, that’s all I ate Christmas day.

The in-laws all came down today for the “family dinner next door at my mother-in-law’s house.  I left my camera at home on purpose.  (Yes, I only live in the duplex next door…)  I have been knitting scarves since October 11th. I gave away 11 today as presents. I also cleaned out my closet of “Anchor Hocking” glassware….I gave away sets of bake ware, mixing bowls, storage bowls, casserole dishes and beer mugs.

And yes, I was asked to get my camera out…..

Christmas 2010 014 grandma(my mother-in-law) with grandchildrenChristmas 2010 020 Mother-in-law and Children

Christmas 2010 002 sister-in-law Glenna with her family

Christmas 2010 022 brother-in-law Mark with most of his children

Christmas 2010 027 Niece Heather with her family

Christmas 2010 034 Nephew Chad with his family

Christmas 2010 036 Nephew Terry Jr. with his family

No, I am not in any of the photos.  I sent each family home with a CD of all the photos. 

I know Christmas is not about getting presents.  It’s about the birth of Jesus.  Getting together with family is just one way of celebrating his birth. 

Just once, I wish I could enjoy a Christmas with my children and grandchildren……where someone thinks I am important to them.

My birthday is in4 days…and I will celebrate it the same way I did Christmas….alone, in my room watching TV and knitting…

Hugs and Love to all my friends.  I hope each and everyone of you have a joyous New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment