Friday, June 10, 2011

For my Aunt

Sonya

Sonja L. Glasco, 72, of Jackson, Ohio, went home to be the Lord unexpectedly on Wednesday, May 18, 2011, at Holzer Medical Center-Gallipolis. She was born in Wellston, Ohio, on July 14, 1938, daughter of the late Ark B. Allen and Viola Deal Allen. She was a 1956 graduate of Wellston High School and a homemaker.

Besides her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Charles H. Glasco, in 1984; and also by several sisters and brothers including Bob, Paul, Ray, and Jimmy Allen.

She is survived by four brothers, Sonny Allen of Chillicothe, OH, Larry Allen of Columbus, OH, John Allen of Illinois and Ronnie Allen of Oak Hill, OH; three sisters, Mary Crow of Wellston, Barbara Clark of Columbus, OH and Erma Crow of McArthur, OH.

Sonja requested that cremation follow her passing. Her final resting place will be in Ridgewood Cemetery in Wellston at a later time. Arrangements are by the Jenkins Funeral Chapel, Wellston.

Sonja wrote the following: "I loved singing in church and a few clubs in Columbus, Ohio. I loved being close to sister, Mary, as she was my idol, and also my brother, Larry. My circle of life was my two nephews, Billy and Bobby Allen...they were my joy in life, along with my niece, Mary Clark, and her husband, Bud Smith. I want them to know I love them dearly, and there was never enough time spent together. Always remember, you came in through God, and you got to go out through God. Bye!"

Earlier this week, I received an e-mail update from a site where I do most of my genealogy research.  Someone wanted permission to view the photos of my Grandparents I had posted saying they thought she thought this was her great-grandparents.

Now that sparked my interest.  Could this be a “long, Lost relative”?  So I replied to the e-mail and more or less inquired as to who the person was…..after all, you never know these days.  I asked the person to e-mail me at my personal e-mail account off site.

It turns out, this young woman is my second cousin.  She was wondering about where she “came from”.  It wasn’t until my Aunt’s obit came out in the paper that she had learned of her great-grandparents names….and then she went in search of more information.  The thing is, neither her nor I knew of my Aunt’s passing until this week, and only then as we searched the on-line obituaries!

Now imagine, her mother is mentioned in the obit!!  She knows her grand-mother; my Aunt Barbara; but they have NO family photos!

I have been doing our family genealogy for over 20 years and have amassed a vast collection of photos, birth/marriage/death certificates, news articles, military documents, etc; and can not imagine not knowing what I do know of the family History. 

My Dad’s side was a little harder to trace, but I have 15 generations back on his ancestors, right back to where they were granted permission from the church to travel to the “New” country of America on the “Abigail”.  They were Quakers.  I found death certificates for 4 of my Dad’s brothers and sisters including 1 even he didn’t know about! An older brother…and Dad was the oldest surviving boy.  He always told me there were 18 children in his family, but another Aunt told me there was more like 21….I’m still looking for others.

What disturbed me was I have been in contact with many of my Dad’s family since moving to Ohio.  Not only have I sent Christmas cards, but I have visited with 2 Aunts and called others, including many mentioned in her obit; and I had shared the family photos with my Aunt Sonja.  Now I wonder, who cleared out her apartment and has those photos now?

I printed off both an Ancester chart and a Family chart for my cousin Melanie.  I went through my photos, found many extra copies of some of the photos and I have made a CD with all the photos I have.  I wrote her a letter explaining I have so much more and would be thrilled to share whatever she wants to know….

I can even give her several generations on her grandfather’s side…who died before she was born..

I love to share my knowledge with others. I hope it brings her some comfort knowing both of us were left in the dark….and maybe this weekend, since my grandchildren are moving Friday, I will make a trip down “south” to visit…

I must find things to keep me occupied…so I won’t spend my days in my room crying….

Aunt Sonja, I wish we could have spent a little more time together. Rest in Peace, and thanks for listening to me on the phone when we did talk…

Hugs and love to all my friends! Please tell those around you how much they mean to you….You never know what God has planned for you.

 

2 comments:

  1. Im glad you found a new member of your family, and i hope you get to know each other better as time pass,
    Take care
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently lost my Auntie Eileen to drink related liver failure...so I know what you mean about your Aunt Sonja. We always wish to have had more time with them. I too spoke to my Aunt on the phone and it was good that she was happy to listen...she gave me some good advice on my mum (her sister). Good for you with the family tracing! Keep it up! Many secrets can be revealed! Hugs, Wolfie :)

    ReplyDelete